17 October 2008
Reduce Costs, Maximize Profits: 5 tips from ShipServ to weather the economic storm
With the global economic downturn affecting all corners of the shipping market, we all need to look at ways to improve our competitiveness to survive. The recent Moore Stephens OpCost 2008 Report showed ship operating costs have grown by 11% this year, with more increases to come next year.
Now is the time to get costs under control and better manage your spend. From sourcing new suppliers, to reducing the cost of managing quotes & orders, to reducing maverick spend, ShipServ can help you drive out costs and increase your business agility. Here’s five ways we can assist you in weathering the economic storm:
1. Free-up time to renegotiate supplier contracts. By moving all of your ship spend onto ShipServ, you can free up time to concentrate on what you should really be doing – buying. In fact a recent survey of our customers showed they freed up a minimum of 30% of their time – to spend on added-value activities, like negotiating contracts and driving better deals. We can help you quickly on-ramp your suppliers in a matter of days, reducing administrative overheads and letting you get on with the job of delivering savings into your business. Contact us to find out more.
2. Use ShipServ Pages for sourcing. With over 22,500 suppliers in 7,500 ports, Pages is an invaluable tool for the purchasing professional; from sourcing long term contracts to locating parts at extremely short notice. But more and more we’re hearing Pages is especially good for sourcing parts for old or obsolete equipment, finding general suppliers that serve obscure locations and sourcing equipment repair services. And its completely FREE to use! So visit Pages today.
3. Better manage existing contracted spend. Implement Contract Management from ShipServ so that all your contract information is kept fully up to date, making sure you’re buying the correct products at the correct price. Our customers are typically saving an additional 3-5% in unit costs through better contract management. Contact us to find out more.
4. Reduce logistics & transportation costs. With an improvement in contracted agreements, improved spot buying and improved sourcing, you also have the ability to reduce logistics costs. This can come from more consolidating of shipments, having less expedited shipments as well as better sourcing of local suppliers. Contact us to find out more.
5. Learn from your peers. Use our KPI tools to understand how other ship management companies manage their procurement departments, and how you can capitalise on best practice in the industry. Contact us to find out more.
ShipServ to host panel at Digital Ship Singapore 2008
ShipServ will be hosting a panel discussion titled “E-Purchasing for Profitability” at 14:30 on the first day of the conference (Tuesday 21 October, 2008).
Joining ShipServ will be William Ho of Masterbulk and Charles Ong of Keppel Shipyard. Plus ShipServ will be sharing the experiences of Holland America Line, the US-based cruise company.
The company will also be updating delegates on ShipServ TradeNet and how it helps both buyers and suppliers to reduce costs, save time and make better spending decisions.
For more information on the event visit the event website. For more information on ShipServ’s involvement do not hesitate to contact Sharon Gill at email@example.com.
Edition 3 of ShipCast, the ShipServ Podcast Now Available!
The latest edition of our podcast focusses on ShipServ Pages.
Stuart May, Director of Product Management, discusses how:
– Pages is not just another supplier directory
– Buyers will see a unique tool for sourcing suppliers
– Suppliers will see a great opportunity to win new business
You can hear the podcast here.
ShipServ Partner Update
ShipServ was pleased to be a partner at the recent ABS-NS Annual User Conference in Long Beach, California. The conference was well attended by a cross section of users, from technical purchasing, to operations, to IT. ABS and ShipServ share a growing list of common customers, and as the products and services of the two companies fit together, each are able to enhance the effectiveness of the other.
As part of the conference, ABS-NS scheduled a breakout session on e-commerce, which appealed to current ShipServ users as well as those considering e-commerce for the first time. Topics discussed included order management, contract management, data quality, and sourcing of new suppliers.
For more information on our any of our partner initiatives, contact Linda Ho McAfee, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep Up-to-date with ShipServ
You can keep up to date with all the latest ShipServ news and announcements, as well as finding out who’s just joined the ShipServ community, by signing up to one of our RSS feeds. To find out more visit ShipServ RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2008 ShipServ Limited. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.